Running a business means many moving parts to get things done. You wear many hats and find that you are not enjoying why you started your business to begin with. You know you want to grow your business and not sure where to begin. Here is where an online business manager comes in and why you need one.
What is an Online Business Manager?
By definition, an online business manager is “a virtually based support professional who manages online-based businesses, including the day-to-day management of projects, operations, metrics, and team.”
This post contains affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my disclaimer policy to learn more.
Why Do You Need an Online Business Manager?
When you started your business, you had to wear many hats, including the CEO and Manager hats. While that was what was needed to get the business up and running, you are finding now that you simply cannot sustain wearing all these hats.
As a business owner, you can’t do it all and you don’t want to do it all.
You started your business for the freedom and flexibility to spend with your loved ones but you are finding that is quite the contrary. Spending too much time in your business and not on your business was definitely not what you wanted.
And when you are spending all your time putting out fires (managing your operations, your team members, projects, and many more…), you are left with no more time to help focus on the things that will help move the business forward.
What Does an Online Business Manager Do?
An OBM’s main role is to make sure that things are done right, by the right people, and at the right time.
Why not hand these things over to an online business manager so you can not only trust that things will get done and done right. Ultimately freeing up your time so you can work on strategically scaling your business.
These are some areas that an online business manager can do for your business:
Project Management – A project manager manages and lays out any projects from beginning to completion such as a launch, new programs, updating or setting up a website, etc.
A great project management tool I personally use is Teamwork PM that helps keep me organized.
Operations Management – Developing and automating systems and processes to ensure that your business is running smoothly. These may include things such as billing, client relationships, workflows, communications, etc.
You can automate your business using CRMs such as Dubsado, 17Hats, or ActiveCampaign among others.
Metrics Management – Tracking metrics or key performance indicators (KPI) will help you know how your business is performing and where you need to improve.
People Management – Outsourcing, managing, and leading the efforts of your team to meet your business goals.
What Skills Does an Online Business Manager Need?
When looking to work with an OBM, you would want to have someone who will not only take things off your hands but someone you can feel comfortable with and trust that things are in good hands.
Here are some characteristics you would want in an OBM:
- Someone who will naturally start thinking about the steps needed to take an idea and make it happen
- Someone who gets excited about what your vision is and wants to help you bring that vision to life
- Someone who loves working with systems and processes to get things done in the most efficient, effective and consistent way
- Someone who is not afraid to jump into the chaos and sort it out
- Someone who will not only manage but lead the team while making sure boundaries are not crossed
- Someone who is capable of delegating, communicating with, and taking responsibility for a virtual team
- Someone who savvy with online marketing systems and software
- Someone who is resourceful and knows who, when, and where to look for information
How is an OBM Different From a VA?
An online business manager (OBM) is not a virtual assistant (VA) that simply performs tasks. An OBM is a right-hand partner that works closely with you and in partnership running the day to day operations so you as the CEO and the visionary can focus on growing your business.
What are Online Business Manager Rates?
Due to the combination of time that online business managers spend in your business and the elevated level of services they bring to the table, an OBM is going to come at a higher price point than a VA.
When To Hire an Online Business Manager?
You know you are ready to hire an OBM if you have been thinking about how you can scale your business and feeling stuck.
You are having these thoughts or concerns that you don’t have time to address :
- You are frustrated, scared, and overwhelmed
- You feel like your business will not survive without you
- You did not meet your goals again
- You have too many projects going on
- You have no vetted action plan to accomplish your goals
- You cannot address daily concerns with your team
- You don’t have the right support to manage your projects
- You have a disorganized team and communications are all over the place
- Your team is uninspired and confused
What Do You Get When Working With an Online Business Manager?
When you work with me, you will not only be able to enjoy running your business but growing and scaling your business to the business model you have always envisioned.
Here is what it looks like when you work with me:
- You have time to focus on your zone of genius
- Your visions will turn into reality
- You increase sale by leveraging your tools
- You meet your goals according to the schedule
- You have a streamlined process and procedure to deal with massive growth
- You are able to take a step back and your business continues to operate without you
- Your team’s concerns are addressed
- You have the right people doing the right things at the right time
- Your team is working like a well-oiled machine
- Your team is motivated and has a clear direction
- You are confident and in control
Are You Ready For Your Online Business Manager (OBM)?
If you are ready to ditch the overwhelm and frustration AND scale your business, I would love to chat with you to see if we could be the perfect fit.